Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Summer Has Arrived

Here are the reasons why I know that summer has arrived:
1. It is a Gallon jug of sunblock. Yes, a gallon. Note the neat pump on top. No more spilling sunblock all over the floor. (My floor was recently voted least likely to get sunburned.) This lovely jug of anti-skin-cancer juice was delivered on Friday and has already seen significant use.

2. Traffic is light. Yesterday morning I made it from 26th street to 81st street without having to stop for a single traffic light. This means that there was no traffic to impede my perfect 30 mph cruise. (The lights are timed for 30 mph.) This means that people have already started taking 3 and 4 day weekends. It does not bode well for today, however.

3. Tomorrow is a certain someone's birthday and that has meant, for the last 11 years, that it is summer.4. One of the adults in this household has been out almost every other weeknight since June began. (The identity of the adult changes.) This means that Retirement Party, End of Year Party, Awards ceremonies, Graduations and assorted other end-of-school-year celebrations are in full swing. Last night was Mike's night as he attended a function for a program that raises money for his school. Tonight is my night with our Senior Awards Ceremony. Please think cool thoughts. Our auditorium is NOT air conditioned.

5. Spring Regents are in full swing and I am getting considerable exercise running up and down the stairs to the Vault. I think of this as my pre-summer conditioning. The combination of the stairs and the schleping of the exams up the stairs (Because dragging a cart from one end of the building, to the center and back to the original end (one floor down) is just silly most of the time.) provides a pretty good workout.

6. A tomato is ripe.7. My morning glories are growing several inches each day and ... have already started flowering. Unfortunately, they are flowering at a time when I am not around to see them. Boo.
How do you know that summer has arrived? Tell me in the comments!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

1. We're all sneezing because the grass pollen is at its zenith.
2. The Y membership has been renewed, thus allowing for daily dips in the pool.
3. The dog has rediscovered the joys of only being outside for 15 minutes at a time when the temp is over 80.

fillyjonk said...

1. I almost passed out in class today because of the humidity making me feel like I'm not able to get enough oxygen in my lungs.

2. I'm to the point of saying "screw the environment" and "screw my electric bill" and cranking the a/c down a couple more degrees.

3. No one is around in my department; I get very lonely.

Anonymous said...

Sedona is on fire. Last week Flagstaff was on fire. The week before, the Village of Oak Creek was on fire. Monday there was a fire by Walnut Canyon. Wednesday (IIRC) there was a fire out by the humane society.

The forests are closed because of the fire danger.