Friday, January 05, 2007

The Plural of Asparagus

Did you know that the word asparagus has no plural? (Watch my dad go running for his dictionary ... wait ... there he goes!) And, that squirrels need to chew to keep their teeth clean and sharp? And that one boy knitting can result in 5 more girls knitting within 24 short hours? And that my kids are singing "we are out of rice krispies" (from Pagliaci) in a very nice harmony? And, did you know that Timex does not make a dress watch that costs more then $60?

The asparagus question came up as the squidlings played with quick-dry modeling clay making ... asparagus. The answer to why the squirrel needed to chew on my window came from Susan. The knitting boy is the newest member of our club. The rice krispies verse comes from the Simpsons, an episode which also features the famous line "Farfalle! Farfalle vendetta!" A phrase which evoked tears from Little Squid when the rest of us insisted on saying "Vendetta farfalle!" No messing around with this kid.

The watch is a by product of the red shorts episode on Wednesday. When I ordered the shorts I also ordered a new watch for Squidette ... the lovely Tinkerbell watch that I brought from Disney World has a charm on it that tinkles whenever she does her Hermione imitation in school ... something she does frequently as she is a smart Squid and knows not to hide it. While searching for a watch for my darling daughter (I'm not mad anymore) I looked for an inexpensive watch for myself and found a nice gold-tone one with the price cut way down. I am still looking for a really nice dress watch for myself but this will do in the interim.

The shorts and watches arrived today, not even 48 hours after they were ordered. Squidette is thrilled with her watch and shorts and I am so happy with my own watch that I went to the Timex site to see if they made an even nicer watch. Nope. It is tempting to just buy a whole bunch of nice Timex watches and call it done but I will probably continue my search for a dainty dress watch with a gold band through the summer.

And there you are, all caught up. Tomorrow it is supposed to be very warm and I am thinking very seriously about the first bike ride of 2007.

3 comments:

Susan said...

And those Timex just keep on ticking. It's a shame that all goods don't last like that.

Cookie said...

Love the new layout!

Anonymous said...

You lose. I didn't go to the dictionary; would've used the Internet anyway. And besides, I assume after earning an Ivy degree, you wouldn't make a statement that far off base.