Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Tired but Happy

My feet hurt. Has something to do with last days at school and constant patrols / events. Yes, even at 6 a.m., my feet and legs are still aching. And today is *really* the last day.

What makes a school administrator happy on the first of two *last* days of school? Rain at dismissal!!! Yea!!! No chance for last minute, well intentioned, hijinx when you are dodging raindrops the size of tea cups. Now if it will only do that again today at about 11:44 when we finally dismiss for the year. (Exams start this afternoon.)

I discovered that I have power in my gaze. Just a glance will get a kid to: take off a hat, cover a too skimpy top and put away a forbidden device. Makes me smile to be able to do that -- then they get confused as to why I am smiling at them.

You know what else makes me smile? My two most loyal knitters showing up for one last gabfest yesterday afternoon. Love those kids!

All this smiling makes half my face ache. Just the real, full face smiles. The fake smiles just invoke stiffness -- stiff smiles, stiff face, makes sense.

You know what else makes me smile? The fact that I have two great kids of my own -- who will never have to be told to put away their cell phones and who will hopefully never get so drunk that they pass out in the park on the last day of school. That just makes me cry.

4 comments:

ICJ said...

Happy last day of school! Enjoy summer time, you so deserve it! :-)

Smile... ;-)

Cookie said...

I hope you get time to soak the feets and put them up later.

Thank goodness school is out for the summer!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you will have a summer break now! I enjoyed reading about your prom and also the Tour de Brooklyn. It was nice to hear you actually got to ride.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the power of the look--I dealt plenty of "that look" as a substitute!