Sunday, July 15, 2007

Conquering the Mountains

... or at least the really steep hill leading up from the Little Red Lighthouse to the West Side Highway.

Today's ride took us up the Hudson River Greenway, and past Inspiration Point (sorry, no picture -- it looked too sad to make me think it was our destination so Squidette and I rode right past it). Getting to Inspiration point involved climbing the hill just north of the George Washington Bridge -- this hill involves a climb of 80 feet in altitude over 0.7 miles for the steeper part of the ascent. I'm trying to make sense of the GPS data so this may not be totally accurate. The last part of the climb seems practically vertical and I refuse to ride down it but today I did ride up the entire ascent! And, I didn't even go into my smallest front chain ring!

After riding past Inspiration Point, we continued on the streets over to the East Side where we saw GREAT signage pointing us toward our destination. This city may finally be getting a clue. The last time we attempted this the signage was awful and we were lucky to find our way.

(This actually points in the opposite direction to where we were going but it is in the right place for it's task.)After finding the Harlem River Greenway we found a lovely park called Swindler's Cove. Wonderful plantings, lovely views. Apparently it just opened in April.



We then headed south looking for a shady spot to eat breakfast in. Let me point out that we are now on the east side of Manhattan and it is only 10:00 a.m. There really was no chance of us finding a shady spot but we kept looking ...
I believe that these are the Washington Bridge (not the G.W.), a bridge unnamed on my biking map and High Bridge. It is my intent to get to High Bridge one of these days even though it is currently not open to the public. High Bridge used to be an aqueduct, bringing water into my fair city.

After being pushed from the river due to the end of the Greenway, we rode down St. Nicholas Avenue to Adam Clayton Powell Blvd and then into Central Park. Along the way we passed many lovely buildings such as this one.
Then, into Central Park for an al fresco breakfast along the Harlem Meer followed by some unsuccessful geocaching and a ride home.
Sights along the Hudson River as we walked along looking for a geocache.
These were used to unload railroad cars from barges directly to tracks.

The view looking East from the Hudson River Greenway --

more residential buildings! Thft! Total ride: 23 miles with several hills.

And, for those of you who care, my TdF project. Just a day or so from finishing.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow! You guys are doing great on the hills and distance! Way to go! It's so fun to see the pics from your bike trips. Thanks for posting them! Great job with the vest too :-)

Susan said...

I'm astounded. I can't imagine riding that far..and that hill! I love all the scenery pics but especially love the one of the 4 Squids. It's great!

Anonymous said...

Wow, do you guys get around! You really should look into some sort of mapping stuff. What an amazing trip.

Penny said...

wow. what a great adventure. if I wasn't so @#($*& scared of bridges... and more confident on the bike..

maybe i shouldn't show my husband your blog... ;)

i love the train (track) pics.

Ina said...

Gah, I know the hill from the Little Red Lighthouse to the West Side Highway. Nearly vertical is a fair description! I have to dismount and push - a bike buddy who rides a recumbent always falls over (one would think he'd know better by now, but he's really stubborn). I bow to you for making it - and not in lowest gear!!

Not to mention that my TdF project was driving me nuts. Right now La Lanterne Rouge is looking good to me.