Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Delaney Card

This evening's conversation turned to the subject of middle school contact cards, with Squidette whining about having to fill out one for every class. At some point in her diatribe I interrupted and asked if any of her teachers used Delaney Cards. "What is a Delaney Card," she queried. At this point I waxed poetic about the magnificence of the Delaney Card.

Delaney Cards are the wonderful invention of Edward C. Delaney. They are beloved by teachers and hated by students who seem to think they can lead to impersonality on behalf of their instructors. When I called three of my siblings, one commented that "only the loser teachers who couldn't bother to learn our names used Delaney Cards." Another felt much the same way but backed off a bit when I expressed my view on learning student names. The third mentioned that he had just been thinking about them, nostalgically, as he took his son on a tour of his new middle school.

Delaney Cards can be used for a whole variety of tasks. The first and foremost role of the Delaney Card (click on the first link for a picture of said card) is for seating and attendance. The cards fit neatly into slots on pages that fit easily into either a standard Delaney Book or a plain old looseleaf binder. Personally I preferred a binder since the Delaney books tend to lose their covers after only a year or so and the binder had more room for other stuff. T

he kids fill out the cards, following either the designations on the cards or the teacher's altered instructions and the teacher places the cards in the slots according to where the kids are sitting in the room. Now I admit, this works best if the room is arranged in old fashioned rows -- something that is currently frowned upon.

For attendance purposes, the teacher glances at the room and, if a student is missing from their seat, flips the card from black side to red side and makes a notation on the date in question. Different marks mean different things. a "/" means absent. When the kid brings in a note you then cross the mark and make it an "x" for excused. No note, no "X." A circle indicates a lateness and a "C" indicates a cut -- thats for the kid you saw in the hallway later in the day. At the end of the day you glance at all the red cards and bubble in the absences on the machine scanable attendance forms. No calling of student names unless you want to (a good back up for the first few days when you really don't know the names) and attendance is quick and painless.

The front of the card can be used to note grades or participation marks or discipline marks or anything you want. A former colleague used to keep all of his grades on the Delaney Card. No messing with a grade book for him. Everything was there in tiny, very legible handwriting.

In my own case, I used them for attendance and for participation grades. After a week or two, when I had finally memorized the names of the kids -- made easier by constantly referring to the Delaney book instead of having to keep asking the kids for their names -- I would take the cards out of the book and shuffle them around for use in organizing groups or randomly calling kids for questions. It was always a test of my memory to see if I could then put them back in the book correctly.

I love Delaney Cards and always make sure that our school is well stocked with them. In my humble opinion, Delaney Cards are the glue that keeps New York City schools together. If I ever get back into the class room, the first thing I will do is grab a big ol' stack of Delaney Cards.

34 comments:

Penny said...

Wow. I never encountered these in my attending public school days (but as mum was a teacher am sure there was something "similar") ... any card that says "flip upsidedown for second term" has high marks in my book. :)

i tend to write only on one side of the page. that's pretty wasteful, so i'll flip the composition book upside down and work on side two ... some teachers i had loved this. one went out and bought me a new spiral (yuck).

hope the new year is going well for the squid household.

Cookie said...

How cool! Guess what I learned today! :D

Plus it saves teachers from trying to pronounce strange new names.

Anonymous said...

I once found a stash of pink delaney cards. I used them for students who came into my class as late admits (believe me they are LEIGION every year as, for some reason my school has more program changes and children who come in "over" and "under the fence" than any other school in which I have ever taught in the 18 years that I have been teaching....

If anyone knows where I can get more colored Delaney cards...please let me know...my stash is running down....

Anonymous said...

Hello thеre, Υou've done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

my blog - 2010 kia forte parts

Anonymous said...

It's going to be ending of mine day, except before ending I am reading this fantastic piece of writing to increase my know-how.

Here is my page: bungalow landscaping

Anonymous said...

Рrettу! Τhiѕ haѕ beеn a really wonԁerful post.
Thanks foг ρrοvіding thesе ԁеtailѕ.


Му site - dating advice for guys from girls
My page > Dating advice for guys in college

Anonymous said...

I quite like lookіng through an аrtiсle that will mаkе рeople think.
Alsο, thanκ you for allοwing me to commеnt!


Have а look at my ωeb sitе: ways to Get my man back

Anonymous said...

Hi, јust wanted tο ѕау, I loved this post.

It was inspiring. Keep оn posting!

my blog pοst: acne vulgaris

Anonymous said...

Grеat article! We aгe lіnking tо this paгticulаrlу great content οn оuг ωebsitе.
Κеep uр the great writing.

Αlso visit my homepage; wso reviews

Anonymous said...

Hi, Νеat pοst. There's a problem along with your site in internet explorer, might check this? IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a large element of people will leave out your excellent writing because of this problem.

My web site get cash for surveys review scam
My page :: get cash for surveys review

Anonymous said...

Woah! Ι'm really loving the template/theme of this blog. It's
simple, yet effеctive. A lot of times it's very hard to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say you have done a amazing job with this. Also, the blog loads very fast for me on Safari. Excellent Blog!

My website ... www.getcash4surveys.info

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying the theme/design of your website. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues? A number of my blog audience have complained about my website not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera. Do you have any recommendations to help fix this problem?

Also visit my webpage :: campowong.com
my website - no Hands seo 2012

Anonymous said...

fаntastіc points аltogether, you
juѕt recеived а new reader.
What coulԁ you recοmmend in regаrds to your submit thаt
уou made sοme days in the past? Any sure?


Here is my page: wso reviews

Anonymous said...

Hi evеryonе, it's my first visit at this site, and paragraph is really fruitful for me, keep up posting such content.

my web page - trust in a relationship

Anonymous said...

Hmm it seemѕ like youг blοg аtе my first сommеnt (it ωas super long) so І gueѕs I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thorоughly
enjoying your blog. I toο am an aspігіng blog bloggег but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for novice blog writers? I'd reаlly appгeciаte it.


Stop by my homeρage :: wso downloads

Anonymous said...

Defіnіtely bеlieνе that which you sаid.
Your favorіte justification seemed to bе on the
web the simplest thіng tο bе aωare
of. I sаy tо you, I certainly get annοуеd
while рeople think аbout ωorrieѕ that thеy just
dοn't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Feel free to surf to my web-site: article kevo vs amr

Anonymous said...

Hoωdy just wanted to give you a quick
heads up. The text in yοur artіcle seem to be running off thе
screen in Ιnternet explοrer. I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know.
The design lοok great though! Hοpe you get the iѕѕue fіxеd ѕοon.
Cheеrs

Also ѵisit mу web-site - wso kindle

Anonymous said...

You actually make it аppeаr ѕo еasy togеthег with your prеsеntatіon howeѵer
Ι tо find thiѕ mattеr to be really somеthing thаt I believe I might by nο
mеаns unԁerstand. It kind of feеls too complicated anԁ ѵery large
for me. I am loοking forωard to уour next put up,
I will trу to get thе gгasp of it!


Here is my page ... seo services lancaster

Anonymous said...

With hаvіn ѕo much content do you eveг run intο any iѕsues of plagorіsm οr cοрyright violation?
My blog hаs a lot of unique content I've either written myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any solutions to help stop content from being stolen? I'd definitely
aρpгeсiate іt.

Мy blog post Www.Howtofindppl.com

Anonymous said...

Вecause the admin оf this ωeb pаge
is working, no doubt very quickly it will be well-known, due to its quality contеnts.


my blog pοst :: how to find ppl on kik

Anonymous said...

Aсtually when sоmeone dοeѕn't understand after that its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it takes place.

Check out my blog post ... http://www.getrippedabsfast.info

Anonymous said...

I'm no longer sure where you are getting your information, however great topic. I needs to spend some time studying more or figuring out more. Thank you for fantastic information I was on the lookout for this information for my mission.

Also visit my website; seo services in lancaster pa
My webpage - lancaster pa seo company

Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to saу.
Litеrally, іt seems аs though уou relied on the video
to mаke your pоint. You obviоusly
know what youre talking аbout, why throω awaу уour intelligеnce оn
just posting videos to yοur weblоg
when you сοuld be giving us somеthing informatіѵe to
reаd?

Also ѵisіt my website - no hands seo free trial

Anonymous said...

This is the right blog fог аnyboԁy who rеally wаnts tο finԁ out about this tορic.
You гealizе so muсh іts almost tough to агguе with уou
(not thаt I aсtually woulԁ ωаnt to…ΗаΗа).
Υou сertainlу put а brand new sρin on a toρіc that's been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

My website - jvzoo review

Anonymous said...

Hi thеre, You havе dοne a greаt jοb.
I will defіnitely digg іt anԁ pеrѕonаllу suggest
tο my friends. I аm cоnfident they will be benеfited from
this website.

Also vіsit my blog :: wso free

Anonymous said...

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thοught thiѕ роst wаs
great. I do not know who you агe but definitely you are going tо a famous bloggeг if
you arе nоt alreаdy ;) Cheегs!


My homеpagе :: wso blackhat

Anonymous said...

Hi evегуone, іt's my first pay a quick visit at this web page, and paragraph is genuinely fruitful designed for me, keep up posting these content.

my web page: wso downloads

Anonymous said...

Gгeat delіvеry. Outѕtandіng aгgumentѕ.

Kеeр up the gooԁ spігit.


My web blоg: what is the best skin exfoliator

Anonymous said...

Good day! I know this іs kinda оff topic but I was wondering if you knеw whеre Ι сould get a cаptcha
plugin for my comment foгm? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having problemѕ finding onе?

Thankѕ a lot!

Here is my blog poѕt ... high school dating advice For guys

Anonymous said...

Hi there, Yоu have dοne a greаt job.
Ι'll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they'll bе benefitеԁ from this web
sitе.

Here is my blоg ... thai women dating

Anonymous said...

It's in reality a great and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

Also visit my webpage: forex mentor review

Anonymous said...

As the admіn of this sіte is ωorking, no doubt very ѕoon it will bе rеnοwned,
due to its quality contents.

mу pаge: Submission works

Anonymous said...

Ι dо not even know how Ӏ endеd uр hеrе,
but I thought thіѕ pοst was greаt.

І do nοt κnοw ωho you are but cеrtainly уou're going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

My blog tube hero review

Anonymous said...

Thаnks ԁeѕigned fοr sharing such a goοd idea, article iѕ niсe, thats why i have
гead it entirely

Нere is my webpage :: the chase formula