On Friday the kids went skating and Mike and I settled in for a quiet morning along.
Then we smelled something plastic-y burning.
It took a good hour or more of sniffing about before we finally figured out that Little Squid's humidifier was melting down. Before we went to open up the window I grabbed a box and then went to grab Lynx from his habitat so that he would not get a chill.
I'm the one that got the chill.
Lynx was dead.
We have no idea why but suspect that the fumes may have dealt the final blow. He had been bruminating (kind of like hibernation but not quite) and was very thin from not eating. He had also just shed prior to starting brumination, a stressful activity for a lizard so we suspect that he was particularly vulnerable to any oddity like plastic fumes.
Lynx was a good pet. He was a "forever" pet and we expected to have him around for a very long time.
He is sorely missed by all of us but most of all, by Little Squid.
Rest in Peace, Lynx.
8/15/09 -- 12/25/09