Monday, December 04, 2006

It's Not Christmas Yet

Earlier, but not early enough, KnittyOtter asked me to take my camera with me on my walk to midtown when I went to resupply myself with cosmetics. Oops! I had meant to take the camera to give you all a taste of NYC during the holiday season -- the store windows and such -- but I was in such a rush to beat the crowds and claim my makeup bonus that I forgot the camera. Besides, without snow it is not quite as nice.

So, in an effort to make it up to my favorite Otter, I present some of the unusual bits of my neighborhood and NYC in general as captured during a later trip out with Squidette to get some boxes for holiday cookies.

In Manhattan there are no large lots to set up for Christmas tree sales so we get these sidewalk stands that tend to pop up the day after Thanksgiving.

Yes, this one has been there for a week already. They eat up half the sidewalk but I kind of like them because they add such a lovely smell to the overly polluted air. When it snows, they are positively lovely.

We just stumbled across this firehouse. I know I have passed it before but I do not think I've ever noticed it during the holiday season.

There were actually two of these trees and the picture does not do it justice. The tree is covered in silk flowers like the bundle pictured at the bottom. We chose this one to pose the hand coverings on.







KnittyOtter kind of guilted me in to hiding some ends before I went out. I say some ends because I did the ends on each of one of the 3 pairs of hand coverings available. (Actually the single glove ends were already hidden but those on its mate are not). Yes, the mates are still waiting for their ends to be hidden and a snake scarf is waiting for it's eyes and tongue.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Devorah! Your latest and greatest Sockret Pal here. I'm only just now on the scene, but from the word on the street you're about to have some nifty-snifty gifts coming your way. I've got out my craft lamp and I'm going over your SP answers with a couple finetooth DPNs. Still, I'll probably be dropping back by with some questions soon so be prepared.
Buckle up baby, you've got some Swap coming your way!
Mysterious Wishes,
Sockret Pal the Second

Susan said...

What a fun trip out on the streets. And your latest and greatest pal is a hoot! Might well be a good thing that somehting happened to the first one. Maybe he/she got really sick or something.