Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Back in the Saddle Classroom

Last week a colleague was unexpectedly ill and needed an emergency coverage. I ran up, figuring that I would hold down the fort until some one could be found to do it. When I got there I discovered that the class was my subject and I called off the search for a covering teacher. Practically grabbing a kid's notebook (but not really) I asked them what they were up to and proceeded to do a review / elaboration of the digestive system. I had a great time and they seemed to be into the whole, letting me amuse myself, thing. So, the next day, knowing that the teacher was going to be out again, I told the scheduler to put me in for that class and, this time using her prepared sub-plans, once again taught a subject that I absolutely love.

She's going to be out again on Friday. The kids have a test on Thursday so she is letting me start a new unit. I am SO excited!!! Oh, and the feedback to her from the kids was that they liked me and enjoyed the classes. They thought it was funny that I was enjoying myself so much.

For some reason I just clicked with this class and was able to step right in -- and they let me! I'm practically dancing around I am so excited about teaching a double period on Friday. It is almost disgusting how happy and excited I am to have to plan a lesson and teach it. Yes, I've been out of the classroom far too long.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like maybe it's time to get back to the classroom (at least once in awhile)

Susan said...

A teacher that loves to teach. What a wonderful concept!:) I'm happy for both you and the students.

Penny said...

I agree with Susan and Dee. How wonderful!! Yay! Though I'll add, time to get back in the classroom, but not to observe, but to teach!

Ina said...

Glad you're having a blast. I wish I had had teachers who were excited to be teaching.