Sunday, March 16, 2008

Buildings, Blankets and Friends

Yesterday I set out in search of fiber. My information was flawed, however, and I could not find it, despite walking a block east and a block west of the original designation. Oh well, I did get a nice walk in and snapped some interesting photos for my faithful blog readers.
Would it bother you to learn that One Fifth Avenue is not the lowest address on Fifth?

But I'm pretty sure that One Half Fifth Avenue is the lowest.
And then there are the Mews. Scroll down in the link. Formerly stables, they are now residential and form a quiet, private, street just north of Washington Square Park. They are, by the way, situated between One Half and One Fifth Avenue.

***

I did promise work on the blanket, and 8 rows were added last night. More rows were added to the rib warmer but then there are only 30 stitches per row vs 270 for the blanket.

The evening concluded with a phone conversation with Susan! It was great to put a voice to the blog presence and we talked like we'd known each other forever. Thank you, Susan!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you didn't find what you were looking for. Love the photos. The Mews look interesting.

I was thinking about you yesterday when I heard about the crane accident on the news. Was that near you?

Susan said...

Oh thank you! I was so excited and every once in a while I would think "Slow down Susan, you don't have to say everything you ever thought of in one convo!" Oh well, I tried.

I love the 1/2 address! And I love that "forgotten" site. Some day I shall have to do a study of NYC streets. I can't quite figure out how someone could be at the corner of 35th and 4th or something similar.

While wandering around on the Forgotten web site I found a place for a family photo for y'all *G*. I'll email you.

Lucia said...

The one-half is delightful. I never thought about it before: if the street numbers run from north to south (say), and #1 has occupied the same lot for a hundred years but then it gets subdivided and another house built north of #1, what do they call it? #1/2, obviously. (This would explain why buildings aren't always numbered consecutively.)

When I was about 12 years old the town my family lived in renumbered every address, on the ground that there were too many As and Rs and it was getting too confusing for emergency responders. People who'd lived in the same place for 30 years were getting "new house" junk mail.

Thanks for the comment on my blog! (Where were you and Jennifer last time around? #4 was the one no one knew.)

knitseashore said...

Thank you for the fun tour! I didn't know that mail would be delivered to a "half" but I guess so!

And congratulations to Squidette for a lovely scarf.

Ina said...

Too bad you missed the fiber, but the stunt does seem ill-considered in more than one way. Gotta love those fractional addresses!