Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Little Gardening

As long time reader know, I have one of those rare things in New York City -- a balcony. And even stranger ... I use it. At lease durng the summer.

I love to try to grow food on my balcony and have tried over the years, peas, stringbeans, canalope, pumpkin, watermelon, cucumbers, bell peppers and tomatoes -- as well as a host of flowers and herbs. The only things that have done really well are tomatoes and gerbera daisies. So, for this summer, I am going with proven winners -- tomatoes and daisies -- and some basil for good measure.



9 pots. 6 different varieties of tomatoes (in 4 different colors), 2 different color daisies and one pot of basil. With luck, we will be eating lots of pasta with fresh tomato sauce this summer.

Oh, and tomorrow? Squidette is performing in Carnegie Hall, with the New York Pops!

5 comments:

Kristen said...

It's good to have a garden wherever you are planted. ;-) And smart to go with what has been successful. Even though I don't believe it's gone below freezing here at night for a couple of weeks, it's too early to put out tomatoes until mid- to late May. That lesson was learned the hard way.
Best wishes to your daughter, that is exciting!

Susan said...

Squidette, I don't know what is appropriate to wish a musician before a concert. Certainly not 'break a leg'. Whatever it is, please know I'm sending lots of those wishes. I'm so excited and proud for you!

Oh..and Mama Squid..nice garden!

Sarah said...

Best of luck, Squidette!
And looks like the plants are going to thrive on your nice balcony.

knitseashore said...

Best wishes to Squidette -- how exciting!

Thank you for sharing your holiday and bike riding photos with us. I always love your tours!

I hope your garden is successful. This is our first year in our new house so I'm not sure what will grow here or not. The daises are going to really brighten up your balcony!

Cookie said...

Woo Hoo!

How fabulous!