Wednesday, January 05, 2022

Hand Crafted Memories

Mike and I are about to embark on our first long vacation since summer 2019. We are heading to San Diego for a week -- a week during the school year. This is a first for us. For the last 30 plus years we have been constrained by the academic calendar and have had to put up with crowds and higher prices for traveling during peak times. 

This trip is only possible because, while we are both still in academia, Mike is on a college schedule and it is currently intersession, and I now have a year round role in a Central office, not in a school and can take my vacation time with more flexibility.

When we travel I always bring my knitting with me. Always. 

Often I come home with more yarn than I left with and, I usually come home with at least one pair of socks finished on the road. Sometimes they are even on my feet!

It is vital that I have my knitting with me. Knitting makes me feel productive while enduring flight delays and give me an outlet for my nervous fidgets while making our way from here to there.

My knits also serve as a memory time stamp. For example, while on our epic trip to Harrogate, England I finished three or four pair of socks. Two pair, in particular, will always evoke memories of that trip. 


The socks at the top and bottom were knit with yarn brought from home. The pair in the middle, and a second pair (not shown) were knit with yarn bought in England. While both of my kids have socks knit in England from British wool, I have socks (top pair) knit en route from wool purchased in Lancaster, PA.  See, time stamps from two different trips combined in one pair of socks!

Mike's hat was made from yarn purchased in a lovely shop just outside of Leeds and knit here in NYC. 


This shawl was knit from wool acquired in Dublin in February 2020 while on a trip with my daughter. The wool is a rarity in that it comes from Irish Sheep, was dyed in Ireland and was started in Ireland on needles purchased along with the yarn. It was finished back here in NYC during the weeks following the start of the pandemic. Whenever I wear it I remember that wonderful trip and the fact that the yarn store was our very first stop after dropping our things at the hotel.

For this week's adventures I give you this!


A pair of socks with half of one foot to finish, The Russell Street Shawl, still in early stages, and a pair of socks in larval form. My thoughts are that I will work on the socks while waiting in the airport and the shawl while in flight. Sock knitting will be with me where ever we wander, ready to take out while visiting with friends, waiting for a meal or just relaxing after a strenuous day of sightseeing.

And, just in case you think I forgot about Mike, he is bringing his paints with him and will return with his own hand crafted memories.





No comments: