Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Joy!

Picture of the character Joy from the film "Inside Out"

My current status is causing joy among my friends and that makes me happy.

Last night I joined fellow educator-knitters in our weekly, virtual, EduKnit Night, hosted by the fabulous teacher-librarian, Lisa Noble. When I entered the chat I was immediately queried “How many days?!” Following some quick and verbalized math … “what’s today … o.k., 31 minus today plus another 31 … 49 days.” Lisa quickly realized “one less than fifty,” and Melissa countered with “exactly 7 weeks.” Again Lisa, “it’s a perfect square!” All three of us were laughing and smiling as the next member joined the chat.


“Joy, we are bringing Joy today,” Melissa shouted out as each new person joined the chat. And as the group grew, the recitation of: “49,” “perfect square,” “one less than fifty,” and “seven weeks” became a chorus, with me laughing, almost hysterically, in the background.


In a year in which classrooms all over are tense and tight, the educators in this lovely little community chose to take a night to embrace Joy.


“If we bring a little joy into your humdrum lives, it makes us feel as though our hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'.” Lina Lamont, Singin’ in the Rain: 


No comments: