Wednesday, June 28, 2006

3 a.m.

It is almost 3 a.m. and I am wide awake. This does not bode well for Graduation this afternoon.

This is a weird week. I am packing at home (all done) and packing at work. At work the packing is to leave all surfaces clear so that the custodian can get a good cleaning done. I am, however, being defeated as construction grit keeps blowing through my airconditioner and on to my computer and papers. Now, the easy answer would be to turn off the a/c but ... it isn't on! I showed this to my custodian (a wonderful new guy) and I think he is excited about the challenge of getting the building up to his standards while keeping ahead of the contractor's dirt. Fine with me. I fully expect to find the building shining when we return at the end of August. He even promised to refinish my gym floor. I think I'm in love! (O.k., maybe not, but I really like this guy!)

Today is a short day in the NYC schools -- the last day. My kids are being picked up by my Dad and will spend the next two days with my folks. This will get them through the first set of demolition with, I hope, minimal stress. The Male child is bouncing along merrily, the Female child is taking this hard. Part of it is that up until last year, the last two days of June were always spent with Mike and his Mom. The four of them would hang out together and do things like go rowing in Central Park while I worked. Last year, the kids spent those days with my folks while Mike and his siblings and I spent in the the MICU waiting room. This is not an easy week.

I will try not to be too maudlin but if you are looking for light reading, skip Friday / Saturday's post.

As a post-script to yesterday's post -- we decided to buy the violin so, the Female Child now has something to grow in to.

As a post-script to the post from the day before -- I am zipping along on a new sock from Nancy Bush's Vintage Socks. I do not remember which one right now and, as the computer is precariously perched on my lap and the lights are out, I am not checking. I promise to fill you all in at a later time.

Now to surf myself to sleep ...

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hey, it was good to see your daughter, as she helped colour my BEAUTIFUL dye-o-rama yarn. She looks great, you must be very proudd of all she does (and the socks look great on her).

Torn re keeping the beauteous yarn you made for ME and making socks for my lovely Dad. We'll see!

(Emily your dye-o-rama giftee)

Ann said...

Yikes, 3:00 a.m. I hate when that happens. It sounds like lots of challenges happening for you this week.

Sending a hug...

Ann