Sunday, June 11, 2006

First Dance

I want to burst into the song "Last Dance," which is what they played as the last dance at the Female Child's first dance / party on Friday.
Here she is, all dressed up. I know you can't see it, but we even polished her toe nails. She had a good time but said to me after, "I can't dance!" My answer was simple -- me neither! When I got there, many of the girls were sobbing. Strangely enough, my kid was not one of them. Apparently, these fifth grade ladies were upset about the school year ending and everyone going to different middle schools. I can understand this. I am glad that my kid -- who gets emotional about LOTS of things, was not crying over this. Her logic -- "there are still twelve days of school." O.k. I guess we get the tears on the 28th.

While all of the drama of the dance was going on, I amused myself by sitting in a nearby Starbucks and knitting this:
Most of the Tulips and all of the Gingham were knit on Friday. I can get a fair amount done if left uninterrupted for 2 hours. The latest pair of sockettes is also growing with both socks now on the needles. I started worrying that there would not be enough to make both socks long enough so I took out my scale, split the ball, and started the second sock on my other set of size 0 circulars. I am now more confidant about the amount of yarn but I want to get the second sock up to the point of the first before I push on to the toes. Yes, I said toes. I am making these cuff-down with a dutch heel. I'm branching out! Two pairs of cuff-down socks on the needles at once. Will the world ever be the same?

Now to gear up for today's bike ride. We have big plans but may be defeated by the wind. I'll let you know.

3 comments:

Ann said...

I love those socks. I have been coveting that pattern, but just not sure I could handle them. I will keep an eye on your progress.

Ann

Anonymous said...

Cute kid. Must have good genes.

Love,
A Centor

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how grown up she is...seems like we miss growth spurts out in the Midwest! It's such a great pic, I'm going to print it and hang it in my office!

By the way, I've been told I've got great dance moves...I don't know who told me that, but I assume it's true.