Friday, June 09, 2006

Cross Stitch

*** My apologies for the lack of posting -- Blogger has been down the last two nights. ***

The following pictures are Theresa's fault. She has been blogging about her renewed interest in cross stitching and I was inspired to show some of my efforts over the years.

I started cross stitching while pregnant with the Female child. I took it up because my hands were too swollen to tat (my fiber hobby at the time). How I was able to hold a tiny needle but not a tatting shuttle I do not know but I kept on with the stitching for 4 or 5 years producing a fair amount of work including the pillows you see below.

Originally, they were intended to be decorative and would dress up the kids' rooms. Pooh and Piglet belong to Female Child and Eeyore and the balloon scene belong to Male Child.

You will notice that the children felt that pillows were for sleeping, not for decoration and proceeded to sleep on them every night.

When Piglet started losing his lettering, Female Child switched to Pooh. Male Child, however, never switched pillows so poor Eeyore is in shreds. Seems fitting that it is Eeyore that got loved to death.

I am not allowed to throw Eeyore out. When Male Child realized that he was beyond repair, tears fell. Big, emotion laden tears. Almost enough to make me want to remake Eeyore. Almost. I love my kids but Eeyore was boring! Lots and lots of endless blue. And, cross stitch no longer holds my attention the way it used to. So, I did what any clever mom would do, I pulled out a book of Pooh cross stitch patterns that I just happened to have handy and taught the Male Child how to cross stitch.

He is now making a new Eeyore but using a different pattern. The child is meticulous. The most obsessive stitcher would not find fault with the back of his work. He has only done a hundred stitches or so but still ... I promise to show this work of art when and if it is ever completed. Meanwhile he is sleeping on a smushy novelty pillow that we picked up somewhere. I suspect that my kids will never sleep on normal pillows.




















No comments: