Sunday, September 03, 2006

Oh so tired!

I find it amazing how a job that does not involve much physical activity can be so exhausting. Friday night I did not feel it. Yesterday I crashed hard. I was mostly fine while visiting with my sister-in-law. (We retrieved Squidette's clothes so she now has long pants.) On the trip home I kept my eyes open until I no longer had to navigate and then fell asleep for the entire length of the Palisades Parkway while Papa Squid battled nasty winds on a winding road.

It seems that my SIL's MIL -- whose English seems to be improving -- is interested in getting back in to knitting. The next time we go up I am going to kidnap her and drag her to a knitting shop I found in a nearby town. There is a quilting store in the same town so Squidette might want to come along for the ride. Just call me the enabler!

We went to the Museum of the Hudson Highlands in Cornwall, NY yesterday. There were lots of cool animals and the kids learned about the Great Horned Owl and various turtles from the staff. Since I neglected to take my camera, all I can provide you with is this:The Great North American Orange Backed Chair. They are rarely found in captivity so this is a unique specimen.

Knitting? What knitting? Oh, that knitting. I'll post some to Sunday Socks and get other stuff up by the end of the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really are an enabler, aren't you?

The Squidette quilts? :D

fillyjonk said...

I hear you.

With teaching, I tend to think if it's done right, it IS tiring. It takes a lot of a person - partly the effort of talking, but for me, also, part of the effort of being "on." (I am normally a shy, shy person and so it takes a lot for me to get up in front of a group of even 30 people and do my stuff.)

There's really more of the performance - like acting - to teaching than most people realize I think. There's stage fright, and the effort of having to project, and for me, having to create a persona who is just slightly different than who I really am (again - shy, shy. I need that "persona" whether she is the goofy-professor type for GenBio or the hyper-organized, hyper-competent mathematical type for my stats class).

I also have a certain degree of anxiety tied up with my teaching (mainly of the "am I good enough" or "are they getting it? Do I need to teach this differently?" variety), which is also tiring.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh--the great orange-backed chair in captivity! I actually spotted one in the wild once and ran away, horrified for my life.