Wednesday, September 06, 2006

School Supplies

This is the week where things are very intense both at work and at home. At work you have to focus on the most important stuff while not forgetting about the smaller stuff which can be dealt with next week after everyone is settled in for the semester. At home it is all about the same thing.

At work there are over 2,000 people, all with their own issues, all just wanting to get / give an education. At home there are just 4 in this apartment but many others outside it who all have their own needs. Switching between work and home is not easy at times. The Squidlings come home with their back-to-school needs and I am always tempted to analyze why their schools do things as they do. I try to suppress the urge to do this in front of the kids. At some point in the evening I break in to a spate of verbal diarrhea and bombard Mike with my day. He actually listens. Do I have a great guy or what?! Then I remember to ask about his day. Oops. (I only overflow after asking about the kids' day and ... listening to the answers.) Squidette is already impatient with taking the bus home. How soon before she asks to take the subway?

Yesterday I came home from work and rushed right back out to get money for the various people we have to pay cash to for goods and / or services and to get a monthly metrocard for the college student who brings Little Squid home every day. Today I had to go out to get some "need now" school supplies for Squidette. After finally picking up my knitting I had to analyze and appraise a birthday present for the soon-to-be Birthday Squid. Some problems but we can make it work.

Birthday-Squid Hint: This Squid's favorite animal is the elephant of which many of the stuffed variety are owned. This Squid also takes up an inordinate amount of space in a bed and was recently banished to the floor for the duration of our Kentucky / Indiana trip. This Squid also desperately needs a haircut.

And, for those of you who have put up with this post up until now, I have this:This is a Giglio. If you need more explanation, click here. That is my school behind it and the famous Rao's on the left. Yes, the perspective is correct -- it is about 2 stories higher then my 3 story, HIGH ceilinged, school. My school neighborhood is very closely tied to the local RC church. When we had to evacuate due to a fire last winter, they took the entire H.S. student body inside to keep the kids from freezing in the sub-zero weather. Yes, the kids were respectful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I know who, but I don't think that Squid needs a haircut. Then again, I'm not Mama Squid.

That thing is huge! I misread what it's called. *hangs head in shame* Remember that Richard Gere movie from way back when? Yes, I'm ashamed.

I hope you all get into the swing of things soon... without someone getting on the subway.

Ann said...

The stress of a new semester..I know it so well...and settling back into a somewhat normal routine.

You will handle the challenge I am sure....

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday
Little Squid

Love,
Bubbysquid & Zeddasquid