Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Oh My!

19 young ladies today. I am and was floored both figuratively and literally. Literally, because there is barely enough room in my office for 3 other people, let alone 19 so we took it to the hallway and sat ... on the floor. I moved from group to group and at least one other staff member pitched in, teaching some of the girls how to cast on using the backward loop method (I tend to teach long-tail.) Most of the kids were new to our sport and took to it like fish to water. Some of the "older" kids taught groups of newbies and everyone had successfully cast on and was actually knitting by the time I kicked them out. A few more have learned to purl and bind off so they are slowly enlarging their skill set. There are now well over 30 blocks on the wall and I have hopes that by next weekend we will have enough for me to put the first blanket together.

A huge Thank You to Debbie whose donation of needles was the only thing that stood between my teaching and my turning kids away today. I had picked up another 5 pair on Friday but with 19 knitters ... at least 10 of them new ... I immediately ran out of medium sized needles. I will have to give a shout out to the kids for a return of materials from those who have given up so that others can learn.(The blocks have been rearranged and are now overlapping in order to fit them all on the board.)

In other news ... on Friday, I received this:
Today, I received this:My New Bike!!! It will be assembled by the ever capable Papa Squid sometime before Sunday.

3 comments:

Ann said...

Congratulations on the new bike! I love hearing about your school knitting..That's where I learned to knit so it brings back a lot of happy memories.

Ann

Susan said...

Oh I can't wait to see your new bike all put together.

19 knitters! Wow that's a lot and I'm glad you had a bit of help with the total new ones. Do you sometimes feel like the Pied Piper?

Anonymous said...

How cool!