Sunday, February 11, 2007

A Lamb in Wool Clothing

I promised pictures of objects in progress and pictures you shall have. But first some NYC.

one of my favorite billboards. The ad is painted directly on the building and is changed every six months or so. I love seeing the building change to its pre-ad coating of white paint with the outlines slowly emerging as the artists on the scaffold make their way down the building. Guessing what will emerge keeps me interested for the week or so that it takes the new ad to come to life. This one has been up for two or three months now so we should get a new one about summer time.

Then we have Madison Square Garden with One Penn Plaza in the background. I spent many weeks working in One Penn as a temp receptionist/telephone operator. Papa Squid and I made out in front of it while we waited for my train back home in the evening. (Sorry, Daddy) I landed gigs there two summers in a row and it was, I admit, some of the easiest money I ever made.

The first time I worked there was between my freshman and sophomore years in college when I nearly froze my bottom in the computer center for a major insurance company. The switchboard was there temporarily, the phones rarely rang because most people used direct extensions and no one ever came in to our area so I got to spend most of my days studying calculus. With that much time to study, I got an A!The following summer I spent two weeks there studying biochemistry but did not do nearly as well. I did, however, fall madly in love with Papa Squid that very same summer.

Now to the promised knitting ... Serving as model is Lamby, a long time member of the Squid family. I have promised not to reveal which of us she belongs to.
Knit Picks Tulip and Gingham socks for Fair Isle February. This is the second sock, the first finished a long, long time ago. They might even fit Squidette when I am done. (The first was too big the last time we tried it on.)
Mermaid Socks for the Dave-Along. This is only the first but they will be anklets so once I can dedicate myself to them they should go quickly.A scarf to match Little Squid's hat and mittens. You can see why Mermaid is taking a back seat to a cold Squidling.

And just for fun, an elephant.
Dumbo belongs to another Squid and the ear warmer belongs to Squidette. I actually finished the knitting months ago but just hid the ends yesterday.

For those wondering, Squidette did not make it into the music camp she auditioned for. Instead, I think we will forgo camp this summer and travel. We will also finally paint the common rooms.

2 comments:

Susan said...

waving hi to lambs and elephants. What excellent models.

and what a fun building. I had to *clickity* so I could see the sign even better then found myself trying to see into the windows of the building next door LOL

Unknown said...

And while you were making out with your squidband-to-be, your Daddy and Mom were probably making out at home, privately.

Whatever works!