Saturday, March 03, 2007

Hamentashen!

We baked today. I made the dough and rolled it out, the Squidlings cut filled and shaped the pastry. Then I burned baked it. You will notice that some of them are a little charred brown. Those are mostly gone. There were 84. Now ... I don't know. Some will be packed for friends, some will be shared at work. None will be brought with us to Purim dinner tomorrow because our relatives keep kosher and we do not. We will probably bring a plant.






























Before baking, however, we took a walk. From a distance, I spied this:


and said to the family "great, the OneIllBuilding, let me take a picture." Take it I did and then we finished Green Market run and came upon this:
The O'Neill Building. Oops. Now we have to figure out what the other domed building is. We did figure out that it is the building on the southeast corner of Fifth Avenue and 22nd Street and promise to pay attention the next time we make a Green Market run.On the knitting front, I finished these for Squidette. The are shown next to my dainty humongous foot for comparison. Don't you like the way the non-striping Dave yarn kind of striped in a pattern designed to break up striping? They got their first work out today and my conclusion ... I have to buy slightly looser biking shoes so I can wear my hand knit socks!

7 comments:

Cookie said...

They look lovely! Pastry is always a little fiddly.

Great buildings and love the sockies!

Mary said...

The burnt ones are always the tastiest! I hope the Squids and friends had a wonderful Purim celebration!

Anonymous said...

It is a little-known footnote in baking history that the recipe for Hamentashen! was created by the nefarious "Feed the Elves Society."

This group of maladjusted jesters thought it would be the height of hilarity to create a recipe at odds with the basic laws of physics.

Ergo, the recipe for Hamentashen! which is the only "times four" baking recipe in the known universe, possibly also in the unknown universe.

I myself, for example, was Purimly presented with a one-pound box of Hamentashen! which I promptly devoured.

Consistent with the malicious of the recipe, that one-pound box of Hamentashen! created four added pounds of weight to a body scarcely in need of additional poundage.

To the members of the "Feed the Elves Society" I say, "Burrrrp."

Ann said...

Ohhhhhh I like the way that pattern worked out on those socks. Very nice!

Susan said...

Ohhh pretty sockies! The pastry reminds me of little pie crust cookies my mom and I used to make after the pie itself was done. Is that scaffolding around the dome buildings??

KnittyOtter said...

Your Pastry looks really yummy, Devorah! :D

The socks are cute too.

I think Mel The Elf is onto something there... o.0

Anonymous said...

I love the way your family adventures out exploring each weekend.

I pastry's look pretty YUM to me. (who looks at the burnt spots? Not someone EATING them.. lol)

Great socks and got a big chuckle out of your size bigger hiking boot theory!