Tuesday, May 15, 2007

One of Those Days ...

I got out of a meeting (out of building) early and decided to drown my sorrows in yarn. Unfortunately, I forgot that Knitty City is closed on Tuesdays. Thfft! No other yarn store would do. I wandered almost up to the doors of Knitting 321 and decided that no, only KC had the right combination of yarn fumes and people that would do to ease my pain. Instead, I wandered around the Upper East Side for a bit before retiring to my car to knit and listen to my audio book until it was time to retrieve the kids.This is how we grow trees in NYC -- caged. Kind of sad but better then no trees.One of my favorite places to kill time and unwind. This branch used to be my "local" library back when my mother-in-law lived across the street. I would occasionally "steal" a few minutes of her time by bopping in here before picking up the kids in the evening.These lions adorn many of the 3 story NYC Public Library Branches of its era. These are wonderful places with marble stairs and full length windows which open on to tiny balconys for air circulation. No air conditioning here -- even in the renovated branches such as this one. I love libraries in general and find the quirkiness of so many of our branches endearing. There is the branch that looks like a castle with a turret and all, the main branch with it's famous lions, Patience and Fortitude, SIBL in the old B. Altman building
The building in the center is where Papa Squid grew up. It is in the "white brick" style which was popular in the late 60s. Mike lived there from age 2 until about 22 when we moved into our first real apartment. His mom lived there for the better part of 35 years. I stopped by recently, to see if one of Mom's friends was still in residence. The doormen remembered me and asked about the kids. *Sniff* *tear*

(I'll explain why I was trying to drown my sorrows tomorrow. Tonight it is still a secret from the public at large.)

4 comments:

Susan said...

Oh dear! I hope they are only small sorrows easily handled with yarn! I share your love of libraries..what wonderful things can be found inside and being in an older one seems full of history. Not only of the building itself but of all the research and questions and even escapes that the books provided.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the library photos -- I used to work in libraries, though none as grand as NYPL!

I'm sorry to hear you have sorrows to drown. I hope everything is all right, and KC is open today.

Cookie said...

I hope today is being kinder to you, sweetie. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Just because you need it
{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}