Saturday, May 12, 2007

Squid Fold Their Wheels

As promised, some knitting, some biking and some NYC for you.

First the Knitting.Scarf for Mom. Plain garter stitch with a mohair blend on size 13s. Mom, next time, let me knit you something in a good cashmere or merino! This mohair isn't bad but hey, I'm offering cashmere! What color do you want?My newest sweater from Fitted Knits. "Perfect Periwinkle turtleneck tube vest." As you can see, I need support and am not using it in this picture. Ah, the pleasures of being 40.

Now for the biking and NYC stuff then, perhaps, some gardening.Three Squidly bikes with Transporation Alernatives water bottles. (From the 2006 Century)

Today we joined with other folding bike owners to do a little ride and a little schmoozing.
Over the 12 miles of the ride, we stopped a few times (not too many) to wait for the rest of the ride to catch up. During these waits I got to snap a few shots. This one is of one of the neat overhangs on the Manhattan Bridge.
View from the Brooklyn Bridge courtesy of one of our stops. Since we Squid never stop on the bridges anymore, this was a great chance for some photo ops.

The ride itself was actually a pretty "standard" one for us. Down the West Side Greenway, looping around and back uptown on the Hudson river (waterside path versus highway side), over to the Brooklyn Bridge via Chambers Street, across the Brooklyn Bridge, over to the Manhattan Bridge, back to Manhattan, over to the East Side Greenway and up to 23rd Street for the festival.

One of these days I will remember what this building is. This was the first chance I've had to photograph it from the north side.
Buildings in Lower Manhattan.
A train (though not, I think, the A train) going over the Manhattan Bridge. (Squidette says that it is a Q, R or N.)

An assortment of folding bikes. See all the small wheels! Squidette felt a little left out on her non-foldable Specialized Dolce.
The coolest, cleanest Porta-potty in existence. For the first time I ever emerged from a portable bathroom feeling cleaner then when I went in!

And, for good measure, my "garden." We have pumpkin, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, Gerbera daisys, basil and Bobo Blues. The tomatoes, daisys and one pot of basil were purchased from the Greenmarket earlier today. My balcony is now ready for evening spinning!And lastly, to answer Sloth-Knits' question to yesterday's post: AP exams do not have to go in to a vault, just a "secure" room with limited access. However, New York State Regents exams do require storage in a sizable vault so, since we have the vault, we use it for all standardized exams. We also store other "valuables" in there, particularly during the summer. It has a Moseler safe door (no link available) and the door is bigger then the door to the room in which it is located. The vault is about as big as Little Squid's bedroom. Yes, it is that big!

6 comments:

Susan said...

I didn't know that the majority of Squids had folding bikes. Actually, I didn't know there was such a thing. You truly are an educator *G*. And you make me lonely for my old 3-speed. Are you sure there will be room for you and your wheel on the balcony?

Anonymous said...

Great post. Loved the NYC pics, even the porta. But your balcony space has me so jealous.

Anonymous said...

Great photo ops. Those overhangs remind me of bike helmets.

Hugs!!!

Cookie said...

Love the sweater. Sounds like a great outing.

knitseashore said...

More pretty views of NYC! I've heard about folding bikes but didn't realize so many people had them. It sounds like a great way to commute around the city.

The top looks fine on you! I'm glad to hear everything's healing for you in time for your brother's wedding. That's great news.

I love picturing a garden of pots on a balcony, with evening spinning. It sounds so peaceful. :)

JessZ said...

The new sweater looks great. What are Bobo blues?