Friday, June 08, 2007

So Tired

It's been a long week. No, actually, this week is the same length as every other week, I am just wiped out. All the running around that occurs in June and all the things that have to be done, combined with some other stuff at work has all combined to rob me of my brain tonight.

Fortunately, I have a really good read, courtesy of Mary.Thanks Mary!
***
Looking for a contest? Hop on over to Jessica Z's and tell her why the owners of the apartment she wants are so eager to sell quickly. Make it funny for more points!
***
Little Squid suffered two migraines this week (they tend to come in clumps) and one of them was a "middle of the nighter" which is the only thing that causes him to take refuge in our bed. While he is suffering, he is a good snuggler. Once he finally falls asleep, however, he is a true squid, spreading his tentacles all over the place and using my back as a pillow. Little wonder that I am tired. The next night, Squidette needed some late night snuggle action against a scary movie that she saw. Then Little Squid woke up early suffering from something he ate the night before. Phew!

Next week doesn't look any better with an obligation for 3 of the 5 work nights and a promise to go to the UWS Knitters on a 4th night. When I promised that, I was not remembering the Scholar's Induction on Monday, Freshman Orientation on Tuesday and the end-of-term party on Friday. I'm still going, tho. Squidette will be out of town and Papa and Little Squid can monster without me for the evening.

***
Victoria asked if there was a pattern for the Sock Puppets. Here you go, in brief. (This makes more sense if you are well acquainted with sock and mitten knitting. If more detailed instructions are needed, let me know and I will try to reconstruct.

Knitting the big sock from the toe up:

Knit your favorite toe-up toe (I like the figure-8 cast on). The toe should be wide enough to span your four fingers.

Change colors and knit the "foot" until it reaches the base of your thumb.

Knit waste yarn into eight or so stitches on either side of the "foot" and then knit into the waste yarn for an "afterthought" "thumb"

Continue knitting the foot until it reaches your wrist.

Change colors and knit a short row (or your favorite) heel.

Change colors again and knit "leg" until it is long enough for your tastes.

Add in contrasting stripes if you wish. (I like the look it gives.)

Bind off.

Carefully remove waste yarn from one thumb, picking up the stitches. Knit the thumb round and round until it is long enough for your thumb. Knit 2 together, round and round, until reduced to 4 stitches. Break yarn and run yarn through remaining stitches.

Repeat for other thumb.

Embroider on face of your choice. Glasses are optional. I used picture wire and sewed them on where the earpieces would be.

The puppet's puppet is knit in the same manner but sized by "trying it on" the big puppet. It goes MUCH faster. The Puppet's puppet's puppet follows the same instructions again.

And, for some comic relief, a picture of my office.It is actually almost as bad as it looks here. I took this picture to show the contractor how, once again, their good intentions (installing my air conditioner) were accompanied by silly missteps -- not returning my furniture to its' proper locations. And the air conditioner, it had the wrong voltage for my power supply! So, now I have lost the use of one window and still have no cooling. I do not mind the lack of cooling but do mind the lack of openable window. (The bottoms are impossible to open and just serve as Squirrel doors anyway.)
***
Remind me to share my latest Squirrel story this weekend. It is, actually, a bird-in-the-library story.

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Thank you for the pattern! :-D i am going to make this...would be a great fun gift!

Mary said...

You're welcome, Devorah. I hope that there are no cycling misadventures ahead for the Squids!

Have fun at the Prom tonight!

Cookie said...

Poor Little Squid! I hope the migraines are gone now.

I hope you're finding time to take care of yourself, young lady. All this running around is going to catch up to you in time.

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

I recommend a nap! Love those puppets, too funny! Little hugs for headaches and tummy aches and scary nights and not enough sleep.

From Susan whose computer doesn't remember me and I'm too lazy to go sign in.