Monday, July 09, 2007

Party in the Sun

Every year my sister-in-law hosts a party sometime near the 4th of July. Last year was the first year that we went and it was great! We Squid are not really party people but this is a big, casual, outdoor affair with lots of really nice, non-threatening people to talk to. Even a fairly asocial person like myself can strike up some nice conversations.
There was a bouncy house for the kids (don't ask my why it says Happy Birthday), as well as lots of water guns for family drenching fun.At one point Squidette lured me outside to be greeted by a drenching! Later we used the guns to cool off. It was HOT with temps running into the mid 90s. Phew!
Little Squid had to be forcibly pulled out of play a few times until the color in his face went back to close to its normal paper white. The kid gets seriously red in the heat. Yes, sunblock as generously applied and today he is mostly nice and pale again. (I take pride in having the palest kids in the playground!)And the food! Dear SIL married into a family that owns an Indian restaurant and they arrange for them to do the catering. YUM! Appetizers were South Indian munchies and dinner was Indian-Chinese food (what you would get if you went to a Chinese restaurant in India). Since we are New York Chinatown snobs, this is not the greatest to our palettes but if you take it as it is and remove the "Chinese" label then it is still really good food. This year we told Squidette to take careful notice of what she liked and did not like and at the end we asked and received permission to hold her Bat Mitzvah party at the restaurant. Score! Always a good thing when your kid agrees with what you want to do. Sister-in-Law

On the knitting front, I didn't bring along my TdF project but did finish a sock!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can give squid a run for paleness.
And I'm glad we didn't have your temps up here. Sounds like a nice weekend.
Great new header pic, too.

Cookie said...

Sounds like a wonderful time!

Part lobster, is he? ;^) Nothing wrong with pale. *cough*

Sarah said...

That sounds like a wonderful party! I love Indian food especially the things involving potatoes/chickpeas/cauliflower/coriander. Yummm! Thanks for the comments on my blog. In response, I won't be trying to cook French food every day for the TdFKAL. It's really too hot to cook anything. It's going to be a lot of salad served up here until the hot weather lets up!

Susan said...

Oh it sounds like so much fun although I can't quite imagine the food. The Squidette is growing up while I'm not looking I think.