Saturday, October 02, 2021

Finishing

I like to finish what I start. When I talk to other knitters I often hear that they have lots of unfinished projects. Unsewn sweaters, wraps with ends that need hiding, and tons of single socks. That's not really me. Yes, I have unfinished projects -- at least 2 cross stitches -- but as a general rule I tend to eventually finish what I start. Something about hiding ends and sewing the pieces of a project together is deeply satisfying. Even more so when I have made the fabric or yarn myself.

Right now, actively in progress (as opposed to those cross stitch projects), I have: a pair of socks (still working on the first sock), hand spun yarn that needs to be plied (at least 2 different types), a scarf being knit out of my hand spun and masks that are in their initial stages of the assembly line. 

Also in progress but nearing the finish line is my career as an education. 

Last week I wrote a blog post that I did not publish. I had to vent and I did so but, for now, am keeping it to myself. Maybe I'll put it up later as a part of a multi-part post on my time working for the New York City Department of Education. A time that is approaching its end.

Right now I am not sure when the end will arrive but it is pretty safe to say that I will be retiring in anywhere from 2 to 20 months. Monday may determine if I go on the earlier side. 

In the mean time, while I try to pretend that I am not stressing, I spent the day finishing some projects.


This dress was assembled several weeks ago but I had to wait until my daughter came for dinner to mark the hem. It is now hemmed and ready to wear to work next week. Pattern: Sydney from 5 out of 4 Patterns.


This top was purchased as a kit from Needle Sharp. I started it last weekend and finished it today. It is also slated to be worn to work next week. Pattern: Cielo from Closet Core Patterns

And then there are these ... some pretzel masks destined for Bar Method Noho and Darian. There are more in the pipe line because I may have gone a bit overboard when I purchased the fabric. 

Pattern: Fabric Masks from Twig and Tale with my own modifications.

I'm not sure what I will make tomorrow but you can be pretty sure that I will finish it.

#sewing #endings #maskup

No comments: