Saturday, October 23, 2021

Silk Stockings


 Silk Stockings


Okay, maybe not silk. Perhaps nylon. And maybe not stockings. Pantyhose? That sounds right.


Nylon Pantyhose.  Yup. Silk Stockings is a much better title!




Two summers ago I did my “back to school” shopping and, as I always do, stocked up on pantyhose. Because yes, I still wear pantyhose. Sue me. 


(Please don’t! I’m a working educator and you won’t get much.)


For a few months I wore my pantyhose, ran my pantyhose and threw my pantyhose away.


And then I stopped.


Stopped wearing pantyhose. Stopped running my pantyhose. Stopped going to work.


Sort of.


I did indeed stop all of the above except the going to work part. I just stopped commuting. Or at least commuting far.


Basically my commute consisted of walking from the living room to the spare bedroom. The room previously known as my daughter’s bedroom and more recently known as my craft room.


Now it was my office by day and my craft room on the weekends.


But back to the stockings pantyhose.


I stopped wearing them. I also stopped wearing shoes. I kept wearing dresses, skirts, slacks and pretty tops because I felt the need to dress for work. It made me feel a bit more normal in a rather abnormal time.


Fast forward eighteen months and we are now in the early days of autumn. I am back to commuting (if a walk of 10 blocks counts as a commute) and my legs are getting a little chilly.


So I have broken out the panty hose. (And the shoes.)


Actually, one might say that I have run with the panty hose. Or, rather, they have run with me.


The first day I put them on I immediately discovered a run. So I did as ladies do, cursed a bit, threw them out and donned a fresh pair.


The fresher pair lasted the entire day and hit the trash when I got home because my panty hose, unlike me, like to run.


Today I broke out a brand new package! I think I have 4 or 5 of these bad girls (each containing 4 or 5 pairs of panty hose) in my dresser.


My goal -- to run through them all and never buy another pair (except for special occasions). This includes, by the way, a dozen pair of tights, of which I have not spoken.


Then I will have a free drawer in my dresser for all of the wonderful things I am knitting and sewing!


No comments: