Sunday, November 14, 2021

Failure or Lesson?

 Failure or Lesson?


I frequently encounter the phrases “I could never do that,” “I would mess it up,” “what if I make a mistake,” “that looks hard,” and others of that ilk. I’m never quite sure what to say in response.


My journey through crafting has always been a matter of seeing something, saying (perhaps just to myself) “that looks interesting,” and then, maybe years later, trying it.


Over the years I have learned how to crochet, knit, cross stitch, make bobbin lace, tat, construct and paint a doll house, paint my apartment, garden on a balcony, program a school, drive, weave and replace various parts of my dishwasher (none electrical). I admit to leaving most plumbing and electrical tasks to  professionals.


I learned how to crochet from my mother (I think, I don’t actually remember being taught), to tat from my aunt, to drive from my father (and a driving school) and everything else is mostly self taught. 


I do not consider myself brilliant by any means. Rather, I see figuring out something new as just that. Figuring it out. Each new skill, whether professional or personal, is something that someone else has done and therefore doable by me. Notice that sports are not included. They are not a puzzle I wish to figure out.


Yes, there are some things I do not wish to become good at.


Each of the skills that I have acquired had a learning curve (literal curves in the case of driving). My proficiency in these skills has improved due to my willingness to fail or, in the case of driving, to not crash.


Case in point,  these leggings.


Dark green leggings with contrasting pockets



They look good on the surface but are, in my opinion, not what I was going for. The design and execution are pretty good but I made a bad choice in the fabric. It is far thinner than I like in my workout tights and I didn’t adjust for my height so they are shorter than I would like. I also don’t like the thread. Oh, and the fabric on the legs is wrong side out. Oops.


Are they a failure? No. Are they a lesson? Absolutely! This lesson sent me to my computer to  research knit fabric weights and terminology. 


Will I try again? Yup! I think I have found the same color in a heavier weight and will probably order it.


All of my skill acquisitions have a similar story. The sweaters knit early in my knitting career that were far too big for my kids. The cross stitch projects that look kind of wonky. The lace samples that certainly don’t look like the illustration in the book. Did I give up? Maybe. I can’t remember what I have tried and then dismissed as “not being for me.” Certainly I have pushed crafts aside only to come back to them later in life as they became more intriguing. My aunt will often suggest things that she has tried that I am not ready to play with yet. Sometimes I try them, sometimes I don’t.


In the realm of education we talk about wanting to nurture a love of learning, to create life long learners. That is how I view my not-so-perfect makes. They are part of my learning curve, a part of being someone who is willing to try and fail learn.



1 comment:

penny said...

I love these lessons!

It's the practice along with the lesson that is often overlooked and undervalued. The leggings are an étude.