Tuesday, June 13, 2006

How to not cook

Regents "week" officially started today at 1:15 P.M. when thousands of 10th graders all over New York State took the Global History Regents Exam. I view it as the beginning of the end.

<<<>>>

I had written a well thought out piece about stress and the different testing seasons and how I started with this particular set of responsibilities but after the day I had I think it is better if I leave work well enough alone.

Instead, I will share the reason that I rarely cook. It is a much funnier story. At least I think so.

Back when the First child was born, I was the sole source of baby food. Since it was summer, Mike promised that he would feed me as I had to feed the baby. Fair enough. When fall came and we resumed work, I was forced to cook a few times a week when Mike had to work late. I had a standard repitoire and rarely burned anything. We ate pretty well if I do say so myself.

Then the Second (Male) child was born and I, once again, was the sole source of food for many months. However, I was also at home most of the time for the first few months so I did a decent amount of the cooking. Then I returned to work for the Spring semester and Mike took over again. We ate very well as he had lots of time on his hands as I was doing the drop off and pick of the kids every day.

Then the summer came. And then the Fall and a return to school. And then came the fateful night when I cooked a dish I had made many times before. This time, however, I either turned the heat up too much or added too little liquid and before we knew it we smelled it ... burnt dinner. O.k., everyone burns things. The next day I get a call at work ... "what are you going to char tonight?" I have barely cooked since. And now that I am banned from the kitchen ... hey, more knitting time!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh I love it...

When my kids both headed off to college I thought you know this is a good time to stop cooking. Everyone can fend for themselves. Kids are home for the summer and it's back to the old routine--except my youngest is bored and has been cooking a few nights a week for me..

I would much rather be knitting.

Ann