Friday, June 16, 2006

I did it!

I made the conference and airline reservations and am going two day early to play with my friend. Why do I feel guilty?

And ... the most important question ... what knitting should I bring with me?

---

Mike met with the contractor last night and we have to kick in to high gear with getting Female Child's room totally emptied. I am going to check out a mini-storage facility this evening and we should be able to start schleping stuff over tomorrow. Last night I emptied a bookcase in my room that contained mostly fiber. We will be relegating that bookcase to the trash. It is old and will not handle being moved around too much. I know ... bookcases in the trash ... blasphemy. We have made the kids spend lots of time in the last few weeks thinning out their belongings and now I am in "pack it or throw it out" mode. No more sorting and thinking for me.

Once again, I am left with the most important question: what fiber stuff do I leave out and what do I pack? I have already folded the loom and put it in its bag. The main wheel will probably go in to the storage room while the journey wheel may stay but probably not. I think spindles will suffice and the charka will ease those "got to spin fast" cravings. I am trying to keep most of the yarn stash accessible in the apartment.

The construction will creep in to every room in the apartment except for the master bedroom. The contractors will need the kitchen sink for their water needs and will use my balcony for their tools and lunch. Both kids' rooms are having 2/3 of their closet walls demolished. (The closet door placement was badly designed with a single door in the center and solid walls stretching to either side making 2/3 of each closet almost inaccessible.) The dining area/foyer is losing a partial wall as is Female Child's room (same wall, other side).

The end result of all of this will be easier to use closets, a larger living area and a fresh paint job in most rooms. We will be in residence for the first three and a half weeks -- most of the job -- and then will probably take off on a camping trip if they really do stretch in to the fourth week as they are now predicting.

1 comment:

Ann said...

YIPPEE!!! No guilty thoughts at all, enjoy yourself with those two bonus days.

You will be a better mom when you get back...I promise.

:o)

Ann