Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Of Vanities and Sofas

Yes, I mean bathroom vanities. While the kids are in camp today (yup, they have camp today, woo hoo!) we are going to attempt some furniture shopping. While I really want to settle the issue of the bathroom vanity -- we do not have one and the contractor is willing to earn a few more bucks installing one for us -- I have been told that I need to wait for our conversation with the contractor tomorrow to deal with this one. I will not push the issue.

Instead, we will see if any furniture dealers are open. Why do I have visions of Fourth of July sales? We have two places to hit and are looking for a sofa and a dining room table. Our old sofa, is not in too bad shape but we (I) have decided that one that stays clean-looking for more then 5 minutes is a necessity. Over the years I have spent almost as much getting it cleaned as it originally cost. So, while we are doing all of this renovating / spending money, we can get a new one.

The dining room table ... well, I finally caved in and let our old one go last summer. When dear-departed-MILs apartment was liquidated, my sister-in-law took her (Mom's) practically new table and chairs and we filled the space with our table and took one that SIL was getting rid of. SILs was not ideal but we knew that our dining room was going to changed so we took it for the interim. What this table taught us was that we needed something in-between the size of what we got rid of and SILs. Now that we are down to a card table for dining, the size issue is becoming a big one. We'd like to get the new one in ASAP after the contractor leaves. So ... that requires shopping. Ick. On the upside, it requires a long walk with Mike. This inevitably leads to talking and remembering why I love my husband. Not ick. (SILs table went to a friend last week.)

Knitting wise, I turned the heel on the Child's Sock and am ready to start the heal on my Leafy Anklets. I also spent some more time spinning of the fragment of a balcony that I have available and wound off a bobbin of Navajo-plyed lumpy bumpy yarn. More about that when it is all spun up.

Question for the day (with apologies to Ann, from whom I stole this idea):

How old is your sofa?

(14 years)

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ours is 3 years old, but the one it replaced antedated our marriage - I think it was about 20 years old.

Ann said...

I think it's a great idea...and really a bit bizarre since I was looking at my sofa tonight and trying to figure that out. Were you sending me some sort of subliminal messages?

I think...ours is about 16 years old. The reason I think I was pondering it is because the refrigerator door is not shutting at the bottom. I told the 80 year old man tonight that the fridge is over 17 years old..no wonder it is starting to show some wear and tear...

...and I would like a new couch.

Unknown said...

My old sleeper sofa I bought at a garage sale for $20.00. It was more, but we bargained and I also helped them move some new cabinats into their basement which they were remodeling. They bought this huge house just up the street and turned it into a very successful B&B, and this sofa was in the house. It weighs a TON, and at one point was re-upohlstered. IT's a pretty ugly pes-green, and I bet it's probably going on 40 years old. I really do need to replace it. I did find a sofe I liked once. It was $2700.00. I also found a little leather chair in the same store that would be PERFECT to knit in. THat chair was $1800.00. Needless to say, I still have the green sofa....

Unknown said...

That's PEA green... It ain't pretty...