Saturday, September 30, 2006

4 AM

So it is 4:30 AM and not only am I awake but I have decided that I am awake for the day and am sipping my tea as I blog surf.

Yesterday I learned about Google Reader as an alternative to Bloglines and am trying it out. I was able to import most of my Bloglines subscriptions with little effort. I think I like this but only time will tell.

Yesterday was a nasty day at work -- nothing horrible happened but I took one on-going saga too personally and obsessed and ranted about it all day. Then someone I have had on going issues with forced me in to a corner (figuratively).

The day eventually ended, however, and we had good friends up for a lovely Shabbat dinner. I even went out during work hours (it was my lunch!) to purchase the traditional prosciutto bread for Shabbat. (I work in East Harlem, they don't have challah!) I got the bread at Marrone's which is an old-neighborhood business where they make the most wonderful Italian breads. In addition to two prosciutto breads I also bought a huge "loaf" made of rolls and shaped like the sun. More than enough bread for 15 people let alone the 8 that were dining. We finished all but a small portion of the sun bread and only crumbs of the prosciutto loaves remained. Mike made a coq a vin variant, asparagus risotto and shoo-fly pie. YUM! I think all that good food may be why I am awake so early. Maybe I should start working it off ...

On the knitting front ... I fully expect to display a finished pair of corn maze socks for Sunday Socks. The second Woven sleeve is about 1/3 -- 1/2 complete. I did start another project (breaking my pledge, again) but this one is for charity so it does not count ... right? There is a story to this one ...

Last weekend as I was browsing the accumulated mail on an email account that I rarely use these days, I came upon the Synagogue news letter. Skimming it, I skipped over the details of the Mitzvah Sunday appeal figuring I would look more carefully when the detailed brochure came out. Then ... Squidette (who reads my email and blogs over my shoulder) yelped ... "did I see something about Knitting?" We scrolled back and found the item, I shot off an email and by the end of the following day I was the team leader for a knitting charity project for Mitzvah Sunday. So, following all of my teacherly instincts, I am knitting up sample squares which will also help me estimate the yarn purchasing requirements for the project. I figure I will knit up a few in the different patterns supplied by the sponsoring agency and then weigh them and divide by the number of squares to figure out roughly how many grams per square we will need.

Now ... can I get my bosses boss to join in the project? (Yes, she knits!)

Hope no one else is up quite this early and that you all have a wonderful day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we even out as I slept in this morning. *L* Suddenly, I feel like I need to stop swearing in my blog...

I think you can get her to join. Who could say no to the Mama Squid?

Ann said...

That sounds like a great project to get involved with. Maybe a little stress relief to balance out the work "stuff"?

Sprite said...

I've gone to bed that early before, does that count?? *blank look*

Sorry about all the work stress... that's just plain crummy. I hope this coming week has a smoother vibe for you.

Can't wait to see the socks! I might covet them. (I'm known to do that! lol) Cool that you are leading the charity project. OMGosh... how are you going to find the time for it all?

beadlizard said...

My mom is always recruiting charity knitters for various projects, usually through work or church. She is a quiet, kind person, but if she presents you with a ball of yarn, a pattern, and a nudge, it's impossible to say no. --syl