Monday, September 25, 2006

Bits and Pieces

This weekend was pretty much all about Rosh Hashana (the Jewish New Year for those of you still wondering) but I did manage to do some other stuff -- I am not so religious as to do a strict observance.

Among other things I finished my Dye-O-Rama socks. Thanks Cookie! Here is my kid sister modeling them for me.

Then I finished the first Woven sleeve. (no picture taken)

Somewhere in there I watched my kids attempt to build free standing structures with cooked asparagus. At a holiday dinner.

Prior to the official start of the holiday I had a scare when our violin teacher looked at Little Squid and decided that he had grown again. Fortunately she was mistaken -- or rather, he had grown but not enough to fit in to the next size violin.Somewhere after the official end of the holiday I discovered that we have four days to obtain a flute for Little Squid. He has had the notice since Thursday. Given the holiday, we could not have purchased/rented said instrument anyway this weekend so I am a bit irked and indicated so in a note to the teacher. Somehow we will have a flute in his hands by a week from Thursday. This is what I get for encouraging my kids' love of music. Oh well.

Today I dressed very professionally and prayed that the sky did not fall at work. It didn't but it is a bit lower ...

Oh, and my bosses boss? Seems she is a member of my synagogue. She came up to me during services on Saturday. I was floored. (This is not a bad thing, just a surprising thing. My boss, however was not surprised despite the fact that there are dozens of synagogues in New York.)

Regarding services -- my mother-in-law was a stubborn lady, fixed in her ways, and I should have ignored her long ago. The view from the so-called undesirable seats was fantastic (despite my obstructed view -- others had a good view) and I have a new favorite section for High Holy Day services. There are only 3 sections and I've tried the other two ... It is less stuffy then the Sanctuary (mentally speaking) and has better leg room then the balcony (with legs like mine, this is important) and the sound is impeccable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be the talented sock pattern making Cookie A. and not me, btw. ;^)

Great socks, beautiful sister! Only cooked asparagus? Or did they get something else, too? Because once it's cooked, all the structural integrity is out the window. Silly clueless teacher. The boss's boss? Very nice. Small world. I am so glad you found seats that work better for you.

*hugs*

Ann said...

Smiling..how could your kids be any less than smart and talented with two creative parents nurturing them?

:o)

Sometimes it is good to step outside the comfort zones and stretch one's legs so to speak.

Anonymous said...

your kid sister's kinda cute. where does she go to school?

Just kidding!
I'll model your socks anytime.

ABC