Friday, December 08, 2006

Saga of the Squirrel: Act 3

(I figure I can be productive while I am waiting for the couch so ... here you go.)


Saga of the Squirrel: Act 3

As our story begins, I am once again spending time wandering the building, checking on the temperature in classrooms, touching base with staff and basically doing my job. I had left my office with the windows closed because it was still early in the day and my office was not yet over heated -- that and I was being very wary of the squirrels.

When I returned I found my office under siege. Apparently a squirrel had entered the office to my east and the occupants had chased it into my office and cornered it there.
Now remember -- my windows were CLOSED so there was no way out for this guy.

Maintenance is called and a guy comes in, armed with a window pole, and opens the top window. For some reason he thought the squirrel would climb up to it. Given what had happened the day before, I seriously doubted this and said so. So, he goes in again, armed with the window pole, and discovers that the angle does not work for using the pole
on to open the lower sash. Stymied, we stood there for a while.

Finally I offered to go in (we had not seen the squirrel for quite a while) and just open the window. The maintenance guy gets the hint (I really was going in) and did it himself. While he was in there I took advantage of the open door and grabbed my squirrel trap so I could bait it. We stand vigil for a while, watching the window to see if it leaves. I bait the trap and slide it into the office. A service monitor is placed at the door to watch for the squirrel and I go and try to do work elsewhere.

After an hour or so I return to reports of no sighting of the furry. So, I figure the coast is clear and go back into my office and spend the rest of the day working at my desk. At the time I am convinced (I think) that he is gone. The day is spent a little on edge while I wait for the squirrel to poke it's nose out of a box of yarn.

The trap stays, baited, under my desk. Just in case.

No comments: