Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Teens Knitting: An Even Dozen


The knitting club has finally reached critical mass. There are now young ladies stopping by my office at all hours looking for yarn and instruction. It has been a long time since things have been this way and I must say that I missed it. If I am going to fully understand why I do what I do then I have to be surrounded by my "clients," the kids in our school. The knitting club had taken a back seat to other responsibilities, both work related and personal, and I lost touch with the average kid. Today I realized that I have finally gained back the critical mass of kids that makes this such a wonderful endeavor.

Last week we moved the group in to a near by, larger, office. My friend was out of the building and I figured that she would not mind. (She didn't.) Yesterday, when my office started overflowing, we were invited next door where a dozen young ladies sat knitting and learning to knit while the my friend sat and worked at her desk.

Periodically, one or another would get up and go in to my office to get a different yarn but for the most part they sat quietly chatting in while helping each other out. One young lady is trying to knit mitts for herself, another is making a bright, striped, scarf and most of the rest are working on the blanket blocks shown above. As of this morning we had 22 blocks. Warm Up America calls for 49 blocks per blanket so we are well on our way. My goal is to get this done with fewer than half being made by me. Since only one, so far, is mine, it looks like we will do it! Meanwhile, I am knitting two small blocks together to make a double sized block and have to even out another with an interesting shape. I also have to buy more pins to put the blocks up on the wall.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Oh Devorah, I think this is just the grandest thing! What a fun thing to do. I'd go mad, since teenagers I don't know really intimidate me. I guess maybe I'm still wondering if I'll be cool enough LOL. They really have done a lot of blocks. Tell them this Okie is proud of them! And good luck to mitten girl. I haven't quite figured that out yet.

Anonymous said...

That's just wonderful!

Now I'm waiting for the boys to get smart and join because of all the girls.

Anonymous said...

'Allo Squid Vicious!
Life sounds good in your underwater variety. What a lovely project to run. And what an especially warm and fuzzy (not of the nose-running, itchy-eyes angora type, of course, but the softest nicest merino wool kind) feeling that must give you.
So a few Sockish questions (sorry to put you through the drill again).
First, do you really want solids? I too am drawn to the siren song of variegated yarn and I too feel I should invest in more solids. So do you REALLY want solids or would you rather stay on the dangerous path that is lovely variegated yarn? It's alright, you can be honest, it won't go beyond me, you, and everyone who reads the comments on your blog.
Second, Elizabeth Peters (love her, LOVE HER), do you have a particular series you prefer? Just curious.
Third- er- third...um, seems wrong not to have a third, doesn't it? But, really, your site, fantastically informative. So I guess, for now, it's the two.
Do you mind to post answers here? Or in posts, you know, I'm not sockticular.

Best inky wishes,
Socky the Second
(Squids are inky, right? Not just octupus? Or was that a really sad example of my high school biology learnin'?)