Thursday, January 18, 2007

Teens Knitting: Blanket 2

I keep coming in to my office to find piles of blanket blocks on my desk. One of our students has co-opted her mom into knitting for the cause. The young lady brings home the yarn and brings in blocks that she and her mom knit. See the striped ones? The green ones? Just about every one in the three panels laid out below? All theirs. The remaining blocks are enough for two or three panels but I stopped after two. The three big panels combined with two narrower panels will be large enough for this blanket leaving enough blocks left over for at least two panels of the next blanket. My challenge to the school was to have enough for a second blanket by Regents week. Boy did they come through!!!

The first blanket stayed in my office for two weeks longer than I anticipated but it turned out to be a good thing. I was able to refer to the various blocks when describing techniques to the kids. It will be going to its new home, a home bound senior, tomorrow.

The club will officially be on hiatus for the next two weeks during the Regents and Reorganization periods but I cannot wait for the new term to begin. This has been the most exciting year with regards to the knitters!

Anyone wanting to donate materials to our cause can send them to:

MCSM Knitters / Devorah Zamansky
Manhattan Center for Science and Mathematics High School
280 Pleasant Avenue
New York, NY 10029

2 comments:

Susan said...

I've found a few more needles for you. And they may get to the post office by April! j/k I hope.

That is so great and I love the idea that the young knitter and her mom are doing this together. I sure hope that the recipient for the first blanket feels all the love that went into it.

Anonymous said...

I meant to mail it last week.... not sure what happened there. o.0

Well I had to mail another box and then this one was sitting here... sorry.

Anyway it's going out today! :D That and a bunch of other mail that was not mailed out since we last discussed this. Bad Otter! o.0

That Blanket is cool. Your kids are really going at it. :D