Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Skirting the Issue

On Monday and Tuesday I work a suit. A "proper" suit with a skirt, hosiery and heels. The theory was that this is more professional than a pants suit and when your school is being reviewed, you want to look professional.

My question now is: why is a "skirt-suit" considered more professional than a pants-suit? What is it about a tailored skirt that makes people take a woman more seriously? And, should a person reviewing said people in skirts actually think less of them when the weather is below freezing?

Please, I am dying to know the answers. Both my boss and I wore skirts on days when the outside temperatures ranged from 10° to 25° . Today, we both wore pants.

*****
The Second School Blanket

Another stack of blocks came in from my most prolific knitter and others are still working on them. The third blanket will have several crocheted pieces as well as knit blocks. A couple of my staff have donated abandoned crochet projects for our effort. Hey, it works for me.

Thanks to Anne for her recent donation of fun fur for the chemo cap project!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Sounds "old school" to me. I guess you could wear a skirt that was tailored but very long?? and with tall boots?

I love seeing these blankets. They really do sort of remind me of the Gees Bend quilts.

Cookie said...

I agree with Susan. That does sound old school and a bit out of touch. Business wear for women has come a long way in the last 25 years. We no longer need a blouse with a big loopy bow to replace a tie. I think a well fitting trouser-suit is far more impressive than a skirt-suit. Unless you're talking pencil skirt because that's totally different...

I vote longjohns under a long skirt if you have to do that again.

Sprite said...

I think it's that a skirt-suit is considered dressier on a woman than a pant-suit. Although pant-suits can be quite dressy, maybe it's that extra touch of feminie class a skirt gives us?

But dang .. and BRRRRRRR. If I had to revist your weather in a skirt again, I think I would def. CHANGE at school!!

So love the blanket!!

*hugs*