Thursday, August 02, 2007

A Tour of Morningside Heights

For the last 5 weeks I have found myself on Seminary Row almost every day in the course of my child delivery duties. The walk from Bank Street College, where Little Squid was in camp, to the Manhattan School of Music, aka Squidette's camp, brings us to many elaborate edifices. Over the last few days I finally got around to taking some pictures of these magnificent buildings.

First we have the Union Theological SeminaryThe biggest tower, toward the left, is actually part of Riverside Church which is a block further west and an architectural wonder all its own.

Caddy corner to Union, and directly across the street from the Manhattan School of Music we have the Jewish Theological Seminary.A bit south of Seminary row finds the colleges of Columbia University including Teachers Collegeand Columbia itself.
Since we always pass Barnard on the near side of the street, I did not get any pictures of it. Next summer, perhaps. My mother-in-law met my father-in-law while they were doing graduate work, her at Teachers College and he at Columbia. Everybody say aww now.

And, because this blog is not all about higher education, some magnificent architecture on a more plebeian edifice, PS 165.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tour! :-)

Penny said...

Barnard always gets forgotten. I'll forgive you. [especially since i believe both campuses are currently full of lots of construction] ;)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful architecture. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Living in Florida has it's rewards, but good architecture is not one of them

I enjoyed seeing the buildings.

Oldpatterns said...

Ah- The JTS, I've been there in the late 70's - early 80's as part of my summer camp!
-your cuz